Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Veron: Bak Chang Festival

I am all so excited not because of the World Cup but I get to learn how to make Bak Chang from my mom-in-law this year. It is a skill that my mom did not manage to inherit from my late grandma and that is why I feel I need to continue this tradition. Let's check out the fillings...


The main actress - mung beans & stir fried glutonious rice


Salted Duck Eggs


Red-Cooked Pork


Dried Shrimp


Chinese Black Mushrooms


Chestnuts


Fried Sliced Garlic


Fried Shallots




Production Section


Choose a nice bamboo leaf.


Wipe it dry with a piece of cloth.


Fold the leaves into a cone shape.


Scoop some glutunios rice into the cone.


Fill up with fried shallot, fried garlic, dried shrimps...


...mushrooms, salted egg & pork.


Cover up the filling with some glutunious rice.



Wrap it up (yes, this does require some skills..)


Tie the whole package with a string.


Voila! I manage to make a bunch.


Well, it is not my Sifu who will determine whether my Bak Chang passes the test...


..it will be this big pot of water. If the filling comes out, means I seriously need to improve my skills.

This Bak Chang festival is also dedicated to all the men out there, who do not have a decent meal during the World Cup event. (Buttock glued to the sofa, eyes glued to the TV set and mouth filled with Bak Chang...)

No comments: